Joomla, one of the most popular content management systems (CMS), is finally releasing version 3.0, which bets heavily on Twitter’s Bootstrap framework to make responsive, mobile-friendly designs available to users immediately.
Who is this release for?
The standard-term releases are designed for users who need access to the new features. Most users with existing 2.5.x sites will not want to update to Joomla version 3.0. Users creating new sites can use either version 2.5 or 3.0, depending on which best suits their needs. Please consider the availability of third-party templates and extensions when deciding which Joomla version to use. Also, if you decide to use version 3.0, please be aware that you will need to update your site every six months (to 3.1, 3.2, and so on) until version 3.5 is available. These updates are expected to be simple and backwards compatible.
What is the status of Joomla! 2.5?
Version 2.5 of the Joomla! CMS is a Long Term Support (LTS) release and support for it will continue until shortly after the release of Joomla 3.5, scheduled for Spring 2014. Users on version 2.5 do not need to migrate to Joomla 3.0.
What is the status of Joomla! 1.5?
Will I be able to update directly from 2.5 to Joomla! 3?
Yes. Any update issues will be a top priority and will likely be resolved early in the 3.x release train. However, it is likely that many templates and extensions for Joomla 2.5 will need modification to work with Joomla 3. Always test prior to migrating and consult with the developers of any extensions and templates you use. Be aware that the technical requirements for running Joomla 3.0 are different. In addition to requiring newer versions of software, certain settings that were once recommmened are now required such as requiring that magic quotes is off. See the Technical Requirements page for the specifications. See the Joomla 3.0.0 Post-Release FAQs for more detailed information about updating from 2.5 to 3.0.
What are the new features of Joomla! 3?
- Incorporation of Twitter Bootstrap into a jui media package.
- A new responsive, mobile device friendly administrator template–Isis– and interface.
- A new front end template–Protostar– built using Twitter Bootstrap.
- Updated accessible template called Beez3.
- A simplified 3-step installation process.
- PostgreSQL Driver. You will be able to run Joomla 3.0 sites using the PostgreSQL database.
- PHP Memcached Driver
- Use of JFeed for feed management rather than SimplePie
- Installation of language packages directly from the extension manager
- Guest user group present by default
- Saving blank articles allowed
- New administrator statistics module
- Update TinyMCE to version 3.5.6
- Continued clean up of older unused code, files and database fields and tables and improved standardization of tables.
- Improvements to Smart Search
- Extensive work on code style standardisation and consistency
- Unit testing in the CMS
- Updated system tests in the CMS
- Custom active menu item for menu module
- Let the SEF plug-in add the canonical url to the head
- Version 12.2 of the Joomla Platform
This release also includes the current version (12.2) of the Joomla! Platform, which includes a large number of new and improved packages.
New Installations: Click here to download Joomla 3.0.0 (Full package) »
See the Download page for other packages and information on updating.
Please note that you should always backup your site before upgrading.
Check the Joomla 3.0.0 Post-Release FAQs to see if there are important items and helpful hints discovered after the release.