While not all clients are bad here some basic rules for Web designers to protect himself from Bad Clients.
Web designer should always protect yourself in the following ways:
- Always get 50% upfront
- Make the client sign a contract that states specific dates and deliverables for her as well as for you
- Send the client wireframes before doing a mockup
- Have the client send you examples of websites they like, detailing exactly what they like
- Have them do the same for websites they don’t like
- Get any branding guidelines up front
- Create 3 web design mockups for them to choose from based on the info gathered from 3-6
- Once the client has agreed to a design, make them sign another contract stating they have agreed to the exact design and will pay a set hourly rate if they sway from that design
- Keep all the files on your own proof server NOT THEIRS
- Do not put the files up on their server until they’ve paid you the remaining 50 % of what they owe you.